How’s that bingo card coming along? I’m referring to the Adult Summer Reading Challenge. If you haven’t signed up, there’s still time. We still have a few weeks left until the challenge ends on August 11, and plenty of books for you to enjoy along the way. If there are 320 reading challenge finishers, the library will plant a tree in Memorial Park in celebration.
At home, my husband and I are having a friendly competition to see who can read the most books throughout the challenge. I’m winning 8-3, but in all fairness, I’ve been gravitating toward YA Lit so that I can fill up my card a bit faster. Shhh. Don’t tell him my secret.
The members of Books for Lunch are plugging away at their Summer Reading Challenge Bingo cards as well. As usual, Books for Lunch recommendations are plentiful and diverse. This month we heard about everything from unforgiving war stories, Jungian psychotherapy, a paranoid hypochondriac who decides to become an EMT, a murder mystery at a baking competition, to beachy reads and nonfiction books that encourage us to walk into the wilderness of difficult discussions and hold hard conversations gently.
Here are a few recommendations from members of Books for Lunch:
· The Golden Spoon: A Novel by Jessa Maxwell
· Light on Snow by Anita Shreve
· The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier’s Education by Craig M. Mullaney
· Someone Else’s Shoes: A Novel by Jojo Moyes
· Braving the Wilderness by Brené Brown
· The Paris Daughter by Kristin Harmel
· The Hotel Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand
· Bad Summer People: A Novel by Emma Rosenblum
· Ambulance Girl: How I Saved Myself by Becoming an EMT by Jane Stern
· The Last Letter from Your Lover by Jojo Moyes
· The Drift: A Novel by C. J. Tudor
These recommendations might help you check off a few more squares on your bingo cards, but if you’re looking for something different, we’ve got a handful of brand-new beachy reads to compliment your summer perfectly.
Here are a few that you might enjoy:
· Happy Place by Emily Henry
· The Five Star Weekend by Elin Hilderbrand
· Every Summer After by Carley Fortune
· Hula: A Novel by Jasmin Iolani Hakes
· On Fire Island by Jane L. Rosen
· The Beach at Summerly by Beatriz Williams
· A Little Ray of Sunshine by Kristan Higgins
As always, you’re welcome to join us for future Books for Lunch gatherings. We meet on the second Tuesday of the month from 12:30-2 pm. We hope to see you at the library soon.
Wherever you find yourself reading this summer, we wish you a happy summer reading journey. Keep plugging away at those bingo cards. Let’s reach our goal of 320 finishers and plant a tree together!