It's Time To Celebrate!
Mrs. Emmons Recommends- A Blog For Grown-ups Helping Little Readers
Greetings Grown-ups of Little Readers!
Are you new to this blog? If so, welcome! I’m Mrs. Emmons, Early Learning Specialist at Frankenmuth Wickson District Library. My passion is children’s literature. I was a kindergarten teacher for 16 years in Frankenmuth and have a Master’s Degree in K-12 Literacy. I love helping families with literacy at home and to help little readers grow with their skills and have even submitted a manuscript for a children’s picture book myself.
My plan is to post to this blog twice a month with ideas you can try, literacy tips and even some great new books to read from our library. I will write “Dear Abby Style” with Q and A. I would love for you to send me your questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org and I will definitely respond back to you.
December 20, 2022
Dear Mrs. Emmons,
With the holidays in full swing, I’m having a hard time finding some books that my family can read together about how different countries and faiths celebrate during this time of year. I want my children to learn all about traditions that other people have. Do you have any recommendations?
Festive in Frankenmuth
‘Tis the season for some holiday books! Yes, there are SO MANY wonderful choices out there to learn all about how other cultures celebrate this time of year. Here are just a few of my favorites.
1. Too Many Tamales by: Gary Soto- This is a lovely story revolving around the Mexican-American tradition of making tamales for their family Christmas celebration.
2. Hanukkah, A Counting Book by: Emily Sper- This board book is perfect for the littlest of readers with colorful illustrations of the candles and it teaches children 1 to 8 in English, Hebrew and Yiddish.
3. My First Kwanzaa by: Karen Katz- Karen Katz is a popular children’s author and she illustrates this book beautifully to show how families can celebrate the 7 days of Kwanzaa.
4. A Time To Celebrate-Explore Festivals From Around the World by: Kate Baker
This beautiful interactive large lift-the-flap board book from Lonely Planet is brand new to our collection here at Wickson. It talks about how different countries around the world celebrate. It mentions lots of winter holidays, but also includes: Dia de los Muertos and Diwali and others at different times of the year.
Peace, Love and Books,
Early Learning Specialist
Frankenmuth Wickson District Library
Check out these NEW books you can read aloud to your little readers! They are available now at our library!
1. A Time to Celebrate-Explore Festivals from Around the World by: Kate Baker (see above)
2. Too Early by: Nora Ericson illustrated by: Elly MacKay
An all-too-true story about a family’s morning routine. Parents of littles will be able to relate with this lovely story.
3. Lady Pancake & Sir French Toast The Great Caper Caper by: Josh Funk illustrated by: Brendan Kearney
Josh Funk and Brendan Kearney did it again! Check out this third Sir Pancake and Lady French Toast picture book, heading back into the refrigerator to follow the food on another crazy adventure. I love the rhyme and rhythm of this book.